Hey Brother, you've got a friend.

Monday 12 November 2007
Posted by Neugier

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.
You just call out my name,
And you know where ever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah
To see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah.
You've got a friend.
If the sky above you
should turn dark and full of clouds
and that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah.
Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?
People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you.
Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but don't you let them.
You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Don't you know that,
Winter, spring,summer or fall,
Hey now, all you've got to do is call.
Lord, I'll be there, yes I will.
You've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend?
You've got a friend.

This song by James Taylor, is the perfect picture of the relationship I have with my older Brother, Odel, whose birthday is this month. Odel is 5 years older than me. Are we brothers by womb? You may never know and it is not important. What is important is that we are Brothers by Spirit, souls brought together for Divine reasons. Our views on many things, from the spiritual to the physical, have merged and diverged and undulated over the decades that we have been blessed with each other. But my Brother's unfailing love has never ceased to be actively present in my life. Any friend of mine, is a friend of my Brother, and any enemy of mine is my Brother's enemy. He stands between me and all who would seek to harm me.
When he was in the States attending UF, he paid for me to move from the Caribbean to live with him and he supported me through high school. We agreed and sometimes disagreed, but He was always fully present in my life.
I am now a husband & father, but no matter where I am, no matter how far apart we live, if I call my Brother, he will be with me before the day breaks or the night falls: no questions asked, no matter what or why. My Brother fans his Divine spark into a flame that engulfs my life. My wife Amy has the same unfailing Love towards her siblings. I guess I married my brother?!
Our parents fanned the Divine spark in both of us. Our parents taught us to be there for each other no matter what; next to John 3:16, that was their most frequent sermon to us. Our parents taught us that we are forever a part of each other's first ministry. My parents taught us not just to teach Jesus to each other but most of all, to live the Love of Jesus to each other. My parents taught us to be present in each other's lives no matter what. Our parents taught us to be fiercily loyal. Our parents taught us that it is not our perfection that makes us Brothers. Thanks mom and dad, for imprinting Odel and I into each other’s hearts and lives, for keeping us Brothers; as you've said, this is a parent's greatest legacy. Thanks, Brother for living and Loving your calling in my life. You've got a friend. Happy Birthday!
Love Always,
Miles, Amy, Ashley, Austin, Abby, Aydon

0 comments: